Thursday, 10th July 2014
Council workers, Teachers, Civil servants, Fire
Brigade staff across the public sector will be
taking strike action
We are striking for the following reasons:
• Local Government workers are the lowest paid across all public services with
many earning just above the National Minimum Wage.
• Two-thirds of you who work hard delivering local government services to your
local community earn below £21,000 a year – the national average wage.
That’s around 1 million people!
• And of these over 400,000 people earn below £15000 a year. Local government
is a low wage employer – this must end!
• Pay increases – when they have been received – have been below inflation
since November 2009. That is 4 years of real pay cuts!
• If the pay points had been increased in line with inflation then your pay would be
at least £2,000 a year higher by now!
• The trade unions asked for at least £1 more an hour to start reversing the real
cuts in pay you have all suffered. We also wanted to ensure that no-one in local
government was paid less than the Living Wage.
• The benefit of paying £1 more an hour would be felt wider than just local
government workers pockets. Out of every £1 in wages received by local
government workers, you spend an average of 52p in your local high streets
across the country!
• By taking industrial action you are saying you are fed up with receiving real pay
cuts and are prepared to fight to get a better pay deal.
• 400,000 job losses in local government since 2010 means you are working more
and getting less.
• Unite have stories from our members working in local government about what
they have had to cut back on in recent years; holidays, new clothes and shoes,
and even essentials like eating properly and visiting the dentist. What have you
had to cut back on in recent years because of the real cuts in pay you have
Join Unite today! Telephone 020 7611 2500 or visit http://www.unitetheunion.org